Thursday, October 22, 2015

My lips as a black woman

    Your lips are awkwardly small for a black woman? You must be mixed? First time seeing a black girl with small lips? These are just a few of the questions I get asked when someone notices my lips. I can say that I am used to these types of questions regarding my lips,to the extent that before they ask any questions,I have an awkward reply or just stare at them without uttering a word.



   There was a period when a so called "Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge" was in vogue, the challenge involved a person putting their lips in a cork or cup or whatever can fit their lips with the hope of giving an illusion of full lips. I watched so many videos of teenagers fool themselves with this act, yeah, I said "fool" because it is only a foolish person that will intentionally cause a deformity to their body. In some parts of the world, black women are bashed for having full lips but now because "celebrities" are getting lips injections to enlarge their lips, society has come around to embrace full lips. 


    I am one of the few black women that does not have full lips but I love my small lips, I can not imagine myself trying to alter the way my lips are because all of a sudden society somewhat approves full lips. I want to scream a large appreciation to the black women who appreciates their full lips despite it being bashed by some ignorant folks. What am I saying? I love the whole of me, I love my blackness, I love my nappy hair,  and I love the fact that I do not have to stress over getting sun burnt. That is how much I love my skin.


   Yes,I have insecurities. I pray for a flatter stomach and a bigger butt, I wish I can get rid of all the hair sticking out on my body. But note one thing, this has nothing to do with my skin color being black, these things I wish for are the same things that a Latin woman or a white woman wishes for. Society needs to know learn the right words to classify groups of insecurities. 



   I have always learnt to appreciate my skin right from time, long before I became aware of racism or ethnocentrism.               Moving to America has opened my eyes to what the society views as beautiful but I believe everyone has the power to choose if they will allow the society to dictate what beauty should be.


Enjoy reading!!!
Feel free to leave your comments or opinions.



No comments:

Post a Comment