Sunday, October 4, 2015

Drop the habit

       Letting go of certain things can be very hard, especially habits. Habits that we have grown into becomes a part of us, stopping it can be done but it takes a lot of time and practice. First, let us understand what an HABIT is.




       According to Cambridge English Dictionary, a habit is a particular act or a way of acting you tend to do regularly. Habit comes in two ways: good and bad. 
How can one differentiate between a good habit and a bad habit? Everyone has their ways of distinguishing between a good and bad habit.

     Ask me and I will tell you that a good habit is the type of habit that helps us to accomplish our goals, there are the habits that puts us on the same path with making us achieve set goals while bad habits is the opposite of what good habits are. Bad habits are like stumbling blocks that stands in our way of achieving our goals and plans. 
Note, not every habit that a particular person sees has being good is seen has being good by another person, and the same thing applies to bad habits.

    For instance; Personally, I hate any form of smoking, be it a hookah cigarette or electric cigarette, count me out of it but some people do not see it that way, someone was told me cigarettes does not kill, people kill people. I laughed at that statement because it reminded of the quote that we use to deal with gun control,"Gun doesn't kill,people kill people". Another bad habit, being clingy, it is one of my favorites bad habits to talk about because it applies to me, making it easy for me to relate to.
Being clingy is a situation where one finds him or herself attached to a particular thing or person. Whereby a person seems to hold on tight to someone, which can be annoying to the other person. How do I know that I am clingy? A person can tell that they are being clingy by the behavior of the other person, the other person seeks for space,may become irritated by the clingy person's character and worst of all, avoids the person. Just like every bad habit, it is hard to stop but very possible, if the person is willing and ready to.

    Like I stated earlier, bad habits can be stopped but it can be very hard to stop especially if it has become a part of us. Since I have the bad habit of being clingy and biting of my nails, m amongst other bad habits that I have. I practice three steps that has been helping me to work on me.

Step 1: Accept it
Before any change can be done, one has to admit and accept that he or she has a bad habit that has to be dropped. Accept your flaws and make it yours.

Step 2: Make a journal 
Write it down as a reminder. It is just like having a journal, but unlike any other type of journal, this time it is a journal for writing down the bad characters that has to be dropped. You go through the journal every once in a while to make sure that you are doing what you are supposed to.

Step 3:Replace it
Find something else to do. Replace the bad habit with something good and worthwhile. Try something new that you have not done before. I started blogging and my YouTube channel to take off the object of obsession from my mind.
     These are the steps that I take that has helped and is still helping me to get rid of my bad habits. If you are having the same issues as me, I will advise you to follow theses steps.

          What are your bad habits that you want to get rid of and what steps have you taken to stop it? 

Enjoy!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment