Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Balancing work and school

    5 years ago, I would not have imagined myself doing what I am currently doing now. I pictured myself being a graduate with the possibility of being an employee in a prestigious company,living happily with my family and maybe will be in a good relationship. These are what I imagined myself doing 5 years ago but fortunately and unfortunately my life turned out to be different. Do not get me wrong,my life currently is not the best but I will rather have my life be like this than for it to be any different because I believe everything is a learning phase.
    Back to the main focus of discussion,the world as we knew it few years back is different from what it is now,things have changed for the better for some and worse for others. Well, most of us, teenagers and young adults are being forced into doing what on a normal ground we would not want to do, which is going to school and working at the same time. Yeah, they are people that actually do both of these, thanks to the economy and society at large. 
    When I am asked how I balance going to school as a full time student and also work as a full time employee,I sigh and I simply say, it is all by the grace of God. True, who else other than God will I thank for the strength,determination and dedication but I also take some other steps that helps to put me on check and not loose my sanity. These tips have helped me to survive the stress that comes with being a full time student and worker for the past two years,hopefully it helps you as well.

Create a balance: What I mean by this is that, I try to take classes that will not be too overwhelming. Depending on the number of classes I choose to take for the semester, I mix both hard core classes and easy classes. Then for work, I let my employer know what my class schedule is so that my work schedule can be made to work around my class schedule. Therefore giving me time to recuperate from the workload of the other.

Accountable partner(s): As we all know,we are influenced by those that surrounds us.If you have friends that are not focused on prevailing,it will be rubbed off on you whether you like it or not. In other words, befriend those that are on the same path of success as you. Those friends that sees you doing your assignment and instead of trying to convince you to go clubbing,they sit with you and study too.

Get a mentor: Ask a child who he or her mentor is, they will hurriedly say either their parent(s) or class teacher or even a cartoon character,which is actually not bad because they are children. Ask an adult in this generation who their mentor is and most of them will look at you like you are speaking a foreign language. What am I driving at? Most of us in this generation do not have a mentor. Having a mentor is very important because a mentor acts as an advisor and a reminder of who you want to become. I have mentors, two of whom I know one personally and the other is someone I look up to without the person's knowledge.  

Create a me time: After the busy week,you deserve to relieve yourself because by doing so,the coming week will be fun to look forward to. With that being said, go out and relax with yourself. Take a chill pill and get yourself together,shop online or in store, or you can also eat out,just do something that does not involve school or work but do 
not forget your school assignments.

Remember your friends: I noticed that when we resume classes and work is also included, we tend to push our friends aside which I understand but still our friends should be a get away from the stress. You can plan a day outing with any of your friends at the beginning of the week. By doing this,you talk about your week,the stress of combining school and work, generally everything. I try to meet with my closest friends at least once in two weeks, or I FaceTime with them depending on who has an iPhone. So yeah,it helps a great deal.
   These are my few tips that I have been using for the past two years to survive this hustle and they have been very helpful. Shuffling between work and school has been helpful in so many ways, it has practically changed me for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment