Friday, February 20, 2015

Style; Thrifting

      I can remember vividly the first time that the word "thrift" was mentioned and suggested to me by someone special, I was like I am never ever going to participate in thrifting. A year later, I am proud to call myself a self certified thrift guru. Thrifting refers to the act of shopping at a thrift store, flea market, garage sale or a shop of a charitable organization, usually with the intent of finding interesting items at a cheap price. The noun "THRIFT" means extreme care in spending money; reluctance to spend money unnecessarily. Let us go into my world of thrifting.
       Most people do not know or understand what thrifting means, I have had friends call me selfish and cheap when I tell them that I thrift. Thrifting does not make anyone cheap or greedy, in my opinion, it actually makes one smart in terms of spending and saving momey because you tend to have control of your spending, you can get designer styles at lower or bargained prices, most clothings are of better fabrics, thicker weight materials, and superior workmanship,there is a wide variety of style selection, and most importantly you are helping a great cause because most thrift stores are owned by charity organizations. I would be lieing if I say that thrifiting as no cons, but compared to the pros, the cons of thrifting. Apart from power pause and final sale, I cannot say there is any other worrisome cons. Power pause means that it is risky leaving item because you are most likely not going to see it when next you come back, so whatever you like has to be taken immediately or someone else will take it and final sale meaning you can not return an item once it is paid for. Based on the pros and cons of thrifiting, I will pick thrifiting over going to downtown to buy extremely expensive items.
       As my love for unique and vintage items increases, my visit to the thrift store as also increased. Although, there are different types of thrift stores, your visit to the thrift store should be based on what intersts you. There are clothing thrift stores, electronic thrift stores, pawn stores, consignments, opportunity shop also known as op-shop. Depending on what you want, there are different options to pick from. Some people mistake vintage stores for thrift stores, there is a big difference between these two. The former involves shopping at stores that sell vintage goods while the latter involves going to the thrift shops. Vintage shops, confine themselves to old, special items. Since there is a lot of picking and authentication involved, prices tend to be high compared to the thrift stores, where there is a wide variety of products and you can find mint condition and unique stuffs. Visit to either shops depends solely on what type of unique item you desire.
         My love for thrifting has immensely increased for the past two years, I enjoy every part of it especially when I go with my friends. It is more like a treasure hunt for us when we go thrifting, I have found a lot of good items that on a normal ground, cuts throat to purchase.
Thrifting has turned out to be one of my hobbies thanks to some of my favorite youtube gurus like enibaby4, itsmyrayeraye, peakmill and amongst others. Well, I will advise all and sundry to participate in a little bit of thrifting, it is quite therapeutic.  Have a nice day, beYOUtiful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment