Monday, February 2, 2015

Brand vs Style??

     About two weeks ago, i had an argument more of a debate with an old friend about brands and style. If I am asked the definition of style, I will say it is the outward expression of one's inner feelings through the use of body adornments like clothes, shoes and accessories. The argument was about what expresses one's love for fashion between style and brand. I chose style and he chose brand thus the heated argument. His opinion was that for one to be called a stylist, the person has to wear at least 2 or 3 brand items i.e Chanel, Gucci or Louis Vuitton. I chose style over brand because for one to be referred to as a stylist, you should be able to make a brandless item look so good to the extent that no one can tell the difference.
     I am not saying designers or brands are not good or that we should not wear them, oh yes please buy and wear as many as you want to, but no, it does not make you a stylist. Personally, I do not think wearing designers from head to your toe makes you a stylist. I love to thrift not because I cannot afford to buy brands, but because it is more fun turning old items into new items and leaving everyone bewildered on how I can do so much with so little.

No comments:

Post a Comment